Although Frensham Mill is first shown on John Roque's map of 1768, this is an ancient mill site dating back to at least 1217 when the mill at 'Feresham' is mentioned in the Bishop of Winchester's Rent Rolls.(Stidder: Watermills of Surrey) Link to John Roque's map
In 1706 there is record of a legal case over the disputed ownership of the river supplying the mill between the manor of Dockenfield and the manor of Frensham Beale.
Later references record that John Giles was the miller in 1739
The mill had two mill ponds to ensure that the corn mill had a constant supply of water even if the main river supply ran low; one of which was built on a small Wey tributary carrying runoff from Frensham Great Pond. This large pond feeds into the Wey about half a mile above where the mill was located.